For a special Valentine's Day breakfast treat...try Red Velvet Pancakes. The first time I had this luscious treat was at the Griddle Cafe...the landmark Hollywood restaurant. Check out these unique Valentine's Day gift ideas.
The legend behind Red Velvet Cake says that it was a signature dessert in the 1920′s at the famous Waldorf-Astoria hotel. It has enjoyed a renewed popularity since being featured in the movie Steel Magnolias...earning it a prime place in the food culture of the South. These pancakes channel the brilliant red color and the light chocolate flavor of the cake...right down to a cream cheese topping that's a take on the cream cheese frosting that usually tops Red Velvet Cake.
These pancakes are the perfect indulgence for a special Valentine's Day breakfast or brunch. They're a nice holiday change...both in taste and appearance...from regular pancakes.
The pancakes are not too sweet because they're meant to be topped with syrup and whipped cream cheese topping or strawberry topping and Reddi Whip. I use I Can't Believe It's Not Butter! Spray instead of real butter to save fat and calories. Since they are not too sweet...they are sure to become a favorite...and easy... Sunday Brunch menu after Valentine's Day is over.
1. Heat a pancake griddle to 350 degrees. Or substitute a nonstick skillet over medium heat. It is harder to get pancakes to brown evenly in a skillet, though.
2. Mix the ingredients just until blended. Batter should have small lumps remaining. Over-mixing makes pancakes tough.
3. Spray the griddle with a little nonstick spray.
4. Pour the batter by spoonfuls onto the hot griddle...forming 3 1/2 inch circles. If you want really evenly round pancake...use an ice cream scoop to drop the batter.
5. When the edges of the pancakes appear to set and they are golden brown...flip the pancakes slowly and carefully (this batter is thin). Breakfast is about 2-3 minutes away now.
6. Cook pancakes on the other side for same amount of time...until golden brown.
7. Spray the bottoms of the pancakes with "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray"
8. Top the pancakes with the topping.
Makes 8 3" pancakes, or 6 4" pancakes.
Or you can just use plain whipped cream.
If using frozen berries...put the mixture in the microwave 30-60 seconds until bubbly. This will melt the preserves again and thaw the strawberries Watch carefully...it can boil over and make a mess. And a sticky microwave mess can certainly kill the festive breakfast mood!
Melt the strawberry preserves (30 seconds) in the microwave.
Add the strawberries.
And to really serve your man a HOT breakfast...
try the "Betty Cock er" outfit idea here.
And serve with a big sexy Valentine's Day kiss!